Our Lovejoys® foods contain all the important vitamins and minerals that an adult dog needs to maintain health and vitality.
Our nutritionist understands that good ingredients can improve the health and happiness of dogs and we have taken great effort to ensure everything that goes into our food is for their benefit and nothing else.
The Lovejoys® range contains all the nutrients that dogs need to thrive, but what are these nutrients?
Nutrients are made up from:
- Vitamins & Minerals
PROTEIN (LISTED AS CRUDE PROTEIN ON THE PACK)
Protein, the type of protein, where it comes from (plant vs. protein) and its ability to be digested is very important. Proteins are comprised of approximately 20 different amino acids, which are often called the “building blocks” of the tissues. The dog can create thirteen of these amino acids from other nutrients in the
food, and a cat can create 12. The other remaining amino acids must be present in their food and are called “essential amino acids”. Highly digestible meats (and some vegetables) provide these essential nutrients.
WHAT DO PROTEINS DO?
Once the protein is ingested it is broken down into the separate amino acids through the digestion process.
These amino acids are then used as building blocks for a whole host of processes from the healthy growth & repair of tissues (e.g. muscle definition and coat health) to functioning as enzymes, hormones and antibodies.
Additionally proteins are important for numerous body processes such as water balancing and transporting nutrients around the body. Lovejoy’s® provides a constant supply of highly digestible animal proteins which are
needed for everyday and long term health.
WHERE SHOULD THE PROTEIN COME FROM IN MY PET’S MEAL?
Meat is the most ideal source of protein for cats and dogs. However, it is important to balance the amino acids from animal, plants and pure amino acids to ensure the best health. Animal proteins are the most complete, and a dog should obtain most of the amino acids from them. The other non - essential amino acids are readily available from plant proteins. All of the Lovejoy’s® products contain a high level of meat.
CAN I FEED TOO MUCH PROTEIN?
It’s all about balance. It is important to remember that very high protein does not necessarily mean better health. In theory, if a healthy animal consumes too much protein, a proportion of this will be excreted in the
urine and the rest will be used as calories or converted to fat. Some studies have indicated that chronic excessive feeding of protein is unnecessary and may cause an extra burden on the kidneys. The Lovejoy’s® range has a
perfect balance of protein. The level is just right to provide the correct nutrition for your dog.
Carbohydrates provide a good source of energy. Highly digestible sources encourage lower feed requirements and smaller firmer stools. Because adequate carbohydrate is supplied in the diets from rice and sweet potato,
dogs will always use this as the energy source over protein which can be then utilized elsewhere e.g. for tissue repair and growth.
OILS & FATS (LISTED AS FAT CONTENT ON PACK)
Oils & Fats are needed in the diets to provide essential fatty acids (including omega 6 and omega 3) and energy.
Essential fatty acids cannot be manufactured by the dog and need to be supplied in the diet.
They are involved in many aspects of health including skin and coat condition, brain and eye health, reproduction and kidney functioning.
Linoleic acid is an Omega 6 Fatty Acid and it is important for many bodily processes including the maintenance of the skin and coat, cell membrane structure and the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins. They are primarily
found in animal tissues and fats. However, it can also be found in vegetable fats such as sunflower oil.
Linolenic acid, DHA and EPA are Omega 3 Fatty Acids and they are important for the immune system, nervous system, reducing inflammation and helping to promote joint health. It may also help heart health and blood pressure. DHA and EPA are critical and are found primarily in fish oils. However, in the Lovejoy’s® range we have used seaweed oil which is not only a source of DHA but it is sustainable and renewable which makes it an ‘eco-friendly’ ingredient.
VITAMINS & MINERALS
These are really important for long term health. Vitamins are necessary for many of the body’s processes and they can act as antioxidants which help to prevent aging. Minerals, such as Calcium and Phosphorus, sometimes
collectively called Crude Ash, are required for tissue cell balance, enzyme reactions as well as bone growth. The Vitamins and minerals are all carefully balanced and supplied in the correct proportions within the range.
Bone particulates below 5mm in size are a nutritious part of the formulation.
Bone provides a natural source of Calcium and Phosphorus and is essential for skeletal health.
CHICORY EXTRACT (PRE-BIOTIC FRUCTOOLIGOSACCHARIDES)
FOS is a pre-biotic that beneficially affects the host by acting as a food source for beneficial micro-organisms and selectively stimulating the growth and/or activity of these along the digestive tract, thus improving host health.
GLUCOSAMINE, CHONDROITIN & METHYLSULFONYLMETHANE (MSM)Glucosamine provides building blocks to synthesise new joint cartilage and together with Chondroitin and MSM they promote mobility, longevity and health of the joints. They have been shown to promote the maintenance of
connective tissue, tendons, ligaments and cartilage.
YUCCA SCHIDIGERA EXTRACT
Yucca Schidigera Extract is recognised in helping to aid digestion. It may help to clean the gut, not only on the surface but deep around the villi. It is also known to help reduce faecal odours.
They are one of the richest sources of minerals and amino acids found in a plant source. Their dense amounts of nutrients are thought to help produce energy, enhance the immune system, and darken coat color and skin pigment. Seaweeds are also rich in iodine and support the endocrine glands (thyroid function).
COMMONLY USED LIST OF TERMS & INGREDIENTS IN DOG FOOD
- Alfalfa Meal - A rich source of vitamins and minerals, as well as antioxidants
- Apple - A rich source of vitamins, antioxidants and fibre
- Asparagus - A natural ingredient with valuable nutrients and an additional source of fibre
- Beef - A rich source of protein and highly disgestible
- Beet Pulp - Excellent source of fibre, as well as a stool firmer
- Brewer’s Yeast - Rich in B vitamins and minerals
- Brown Rice - Great source of complex carbohydrates and high in fibre
- Calcium Carbonate - Source of calcium and a preservative
- Calcium iodate anhydrous - Source of Iodine, an essential mineral.
- Carrot - Great source of Beta-Carotene and Vitamin A
- Chicken - High-quality protein and essential amino acids, fat, trace minerals, and flavor.
- Chicory Extract - Prebiotic fibre that supports digestive health and naturally derived from the chicory root.
- Chondroitin - Naturally occuring molecule which acts as an antiinflammatory
- Copper sulphate - Source of copper, an essential mineral necessary for fur growth and bone development.
- Cranberry Extract - Rich in vitamin C and health-promoting antioxidants
Cupric sulphate Also known as Copper Sulphate
- Derivatives of Vegetable Origin - Carrageenan, Locust Bean Gum and Guar gum. They are processing aids to ensure the correct viscosity of the
product to enable pilling & to ensure the final set of the product.
- Digestive Health - Contains beet pulp which helps to maintain normal intestinal transit time and motility.
- Firm Stools – High levels of Turkey & Rice for optimum palatability and small firm stools. Contains Chicory Extract which may help to reduce stool odours.
- Glucosamine - Naturally present in shellfish, animal bones, cartilage,
and bone marrow. It helps support healthy joints and mobility
- Green Tea - Used as an anti-oxidant, flavour enchancer and to promote fresher breath
- Ground Whole Barley - A source of carbohydrate and provides energy and fibre to your pet
- Health & Vitality - Full complement of vitamins and
- Healthy Development - Seaweed Oil contains DHA (Docosahexenoic Acid) which is important for healthy brain, vision and nervous development. In addition, it is ‘eco friendly’ because seaweed is sustainable and renewable.
- High Nucleotide Yeast - Rich in soluble nutrients and natural ß-glucans and ß-mannans
- Hypoallergenic – Single source of protein and formulated without many known allergens e.g. wheat, wheat gluten, dairy, pork, beef and soya, making it ideal or puppies with sensitivities.
- Immune Health - Vitamin E and Selenium which help to maintain and support the immune system.
- Iron sulphate - Vital nutrient, aids production red blood cells and important
- Joint Support - Glucosamine, Chondroitin Sulphate and Omega 3 fatty acids to promote joint repair and mobility.
- L-Carnitine - Naturally occuring amino acid which aids in the
metabolising of fats
- Lamb - Provides high quality protein and essential amino acids
- Lysine- An essential amino acid
- Manganese sulphate - Aids in development of strong bones and helps immune system
- Marigold - Source of lutein, a naturally occuring carotenoid
- Marjoram - Natural herb which has anti inflammatory and anti oxidant
- Methionine - An essential amino acid, important for many bodily
- Nettle - Rich in protein, vitamins A, C, K, B complex, as well as
- Oats - A great source of fibre and minerials, and an alternative
grain to wheat.
- Oral Care – Crunchy kibbles may help to remove plaque
and tartar from your puppy’s teeth.
- Oregano - Enhances flavour and aroma of food, as well as being high in
- Parsley - Herb rich in protein, fibre and vitamins and can also help
with bad breath
- Pea Protein - A source of protein
- Peas - Excellent source of carbohydrates, fibre, protein,
vitamins and minerals.
- Peppermint - Adds flavour and aroma, and can act as an anti- inflammatory
- Potassium Chloride- Naturally occurring mineral and potassium
- Potato - Good source of nutrients, vitamins and minerals
- Prebiotic FOS- Naturally occuring oligosaccharides which have
both a prebiotic effect and support mineral absorption.
- Prebiotic MOS - Derived from yeast cell walls, it is a prebiotic that is
beneficial for bacteria that inhabit the flora of the digestive tract
- Rosemary extract - A powerful anti-oxidant and natural preservative
- Sage - Natural herb which can help ease gas and bloating
- Salmon - A great source of protein, and packed full of antioxidants
- Salmon Oil - Great source of Omega 6 and 3, and full of antioxidants.
The oil is carefully separated from the proteins, so does not contain protein molecules. Our salmon oil is pure pressed, much like Olive Oil,and is not a mixture of different fish oils.
- Seaweed - Good source of a large variety of minerals, including calcium and iodine. In our dry food, there is 5g of seawood per 1kg.
- Seaweed Oil - Source of minerals including calcium, iron, magnesium and many more.
- Selenised yeast - An essential element in your pets diet which helps
improve joint, skin and coat health.
- Skin & Coat – With Omega 6 & 3 fatty acids and zinc to help promote a healthy skin & coat.
- Sodium Chloride - More commanly known as salt, which is a necessary
mineral and flavour enhancer.
- Sodium selenite - Mineral supplement essential for good health.
- Spinach - Contains a large amount of good vitamins, minerals,
- Strong Teeth & Bones – Carefully balanced calcium and phosphorus for strong teeth and to support bones growth.
- Sunflower Oil - Pressed from sunflower seeds, low in saturated fats
and rich in vitamin E.
- Sweet Potato - A complex carbohydrate and a natural energy source,
rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Taurine - An amino acid natural found in meat and seafood, among others.
- Thyme - Herb used as flavour enhancer, and can improve digestion
- Tocopherols - Natural anti-oxidants and common source of Vitamin E
- Tomato Pomace - Mix of tomato skins, pulp and crushed seeds. Source
of protein, vitamin B, vitamin A and dietary fibre.
- Turkey - Easy to digest source of protein, and low in calories and fat.
- Vitamin A - Important for vision and growth
- Vitamin D - Important for regulating calcium and phosphorous levels
- Vitamin E - An anti-oxidant that helps with the metabolism of fats.
- Weight Management - Reduced fat level to help to maintain a healthy weight for less joint stress. Higher protein levels to encourage weight loss from fatty tissue rather than muscle tissue.
- White Fish - Made up from any white ocean fish, but typically Atlantic
Cod and Atlantic Haddock
- Whole Linseed - Also known as flax, contains high levels of dietary fibre
and an abundance of mirconutrients.
- Yeast Extract - Improves palatability of both dog and cat food and
contains healthy nutriants.
- Yucca Extract - Helps naturally remove toxins and facilitate digestion and
may also reduce odour.
- Zinc chelate of amino acid hydrate - A synthetic mineral
- Zinc sulphate monohydrate - Mineral which helps support a healthy immune system